BIBLE MARKING PLAN INSTRUCTIONS
This Bible Marking Plan has the goal of being simple and direct.
Taking 1 Peter 3:15 to “sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:” as our guide; this is how the plan works.
- Begin by writing the title of the study on a blank flyleaf page in your Bible
- Write the two initials for the study next to the title
- Write in the first text you will be turning to which will begin your study.
- You can also then write a leading question, or subtitle of the study to get things started.
A sample entry would look like this:
Following Jesus – FJ – Matthew 11:28-30 – “What does it mean to be a Christian?”
- Turn to the first text and mark it is some way.Use a colored pencil, put brackets around it, or highlight it. In some way mark it so you can readily find it on the page and read it.
- At the end of the text write in the initials of your study, in this case FJ.Then write the next text you will be turning to. This is where any abbreviations you are comfortable with come in handy. So the entry for the next text would look like this: FJ - Lk.9:57-62.
- Continue this with each text in the study guide you are following.
- At the end of the last text write the initials and the word “end” so you know you are at the end of the study.In this case:FJ-end.
- Please go over the study several times in order to make it your own.It needs to come from your own heart when you share with others.You may want to add or delete texts as the Spirit guides you so the study comes naturally according to your ability.We all tend to present things a little differently according to our own thinking and temperament.
- There may be texts later you think of and would like to at a certain point.Just place an asterisk * next to the text with the study initials and text to turn to.
- Using the study’s initials is important because some texts are used in more than one study, so you need the initials so you know which text to go to next in that particular study.
- Remember this is just A plan.It is a good starting place with the different topics.Get the Scriptures into your mind, and as you continue to study broadly in God’s Word, the Holy Spirit will be able to guide you with just the right texts so you can meet the people where they are and speak a Word in season to those that are weary of sin and looking for a better way.